Re: [ietf-dkim] Protecting messages, not MUAs, MTAs, or anything else

2010-10-18 19:10:30
Merely detecting that an incoming message is malformed (e.g. two From: fields, whether or not either was signed) and refusing to verify it is insufficient, because that has the net effect of setting a bit that the MUA likely won't even check, ...

This is getting awfully overcomplicated. One of the key differences between DKIM and predecessors such as S/MIME is that it can reasonably operate as a layer between MTA and MTA or MTA and MUA, without requiring integration into either. When we were working out relaxed canonicalization, it is my distinct recollection that our goal was to allow only changes that would make only insignficant changes to the message rendering in MUAs. Hence we didn't allow adding arbitrary white space since that would let bad guys reformat mail as ASCII art.

What I'm proposing, and am part way through implementing, is just to disallow a few more situations that are likely to make a large difference to the rendered appearance. My current plan is to have the verifier fail if there are both signed and unsigned instances of any of the headers that are supposed to occur only once. That's it. If a signer wants to sign two Subject: headers, that's fine so long as the verifier sees the same two Subject: headers and no more--the message the user sees is the one the signer signed.

Note that this design is not in the least idiot-proof, but if a signer uses a normal set of options (by which I mean following the advice in 4871), it means that if someone renders a message with a valid signature, it'll look like what the signer signed.

In the absence of a signature, mail systems will continue to do whatever they do now. Their behavior when a message has two Subject: lines is pretty random, but I don't really care, since it hasn't been a problem so far. What this prevents is signature based whitelisting, either absolute whitelisting or spam filter positive scoring, of a message that's not what the signer signed.

So, uh, can we agree that Jim's SHOULD language to tell people to do this is a good idea?

R's,
John