Re: [ietf-dkim] detecting header mutations after signing

2010-10-19 05:32:56
On 19/Oct/10 04:55, John Levine wrote:
There's a strong correlation between badly structured emails (SMTP,
MIME, HTML) and email that the recipient doesn't want to see.

You're right, but I think that's largely orthogonal to DKIM.  If a
message has a good signature from a credible signer, I expect I'd want
to show it to the user even if it had structure problems.  I'd like to
make the trust model as simple as possible, preferably

   good signature ->  good message

rather than

   good signature + tidy SMTP + correct headers + unobjectionable HTML
     + favorable phase of moon ->  good message

+1.  That's why I don't think much of "Jim's SHOULD language",
recommending stiff syntax validation in response to a threat whose
only known trait is technical feasibility.

Verifiers are already authorized to react "with extreme skepticism".
We can better their diagnostic capabilities, but cannot recommend a
therapy that we never tried.