Re: [ietf-dkim] who does reputation, was detecting header mutations

2010-10-19 10:56:42
Yeah, but this is the overriding assumption for any display to the user: that the user is going to do the reputation assignment.

Systems like Goodmail suggest that this assumuption is fundamentally wrong. It puts a little flag on messages that are endorsed by a vouching service. Webmail providers like it, the issues that Goodmail had with Yahoo et al were about the implementation, not the idea.

Speaking as a user, I have better things to do than to do the mail filtering that my mail system can and should be doing. Having talked to a lot of people who run large mail systems at MAAWG and other places, I think they agree. They use feedback from Junk buttons to tune the filters and manage sender reputation, not to do the primary filtering.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
Dummies",