Re: [ietf-dkim] Proposal for new text about multiple header issues

2010-10-25 00:50:07
Mark Delany wrote:
The universe of email is replete with software that forgives
messages which do not conform strictly to the grammar that defines
what valid email looks like.  This is a long-standing practice known
informally as the robustness principle, originally coined by Jon
Postel: "Be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you
accept from others."

Well, I'm clearly the outlier here, but I think "be liberal" is
protocol nonsense that has been accepted as "conventional wisdom" for
far too long now.

Put another way, "Accept crud and pass it on" constitutes good
protocol design? Gimme a break.

More particularly, DKIM is a security protocol which means that "being
liberal" is entirely antithetical and highly risky to boot.

In short, I don't think any part of DKIM should be based on "be
liberal" because it always trades off security.

Really, its an inappropriate attempt in a history lesson and it
actually doesn't apply here.

--
HLS