Re: [ietf-dkim] Proposed documentation split between DKIM and "DOSETA"

2011-01-12 05:05:13
Hi, Murray,

On 1/12/11 1:53 AM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

Hi Rolf,

I think your concerns are reasonable. But I think the "marketing" of DKIM can be managed and maintained as it has its own momentum now;

this may be true for the US, I'm not sure about other regions of the world. The figures of https://fit.nokia.com/lars/meter/dkim.html show a big gap between DKIM use in the US and regions like Europe and Asia. Furthermore, a few big companies like Google, PayPal, Yahoo etc., contribute significantly to these figures, without them the adoption still seems to be marginal. To reach a critical mass an awful lot of (smaller) companies still need to join us.

But let's not overemphasize the 'marketing' aspect; it's just one of the aspects that need to be taken into account when deciding about the document split, among other aspects mentioned by you, by Jim and by others.

meanwhile, the idea of creating a new technology (say, something that protects HTTP transactions) that looks 95% like DKIM but is called something else seems to me to be a path that would introduce even more confusion to the industry.

Probably yes. But I wonder how many messaging/transaction type protocols will be real candidates to do something with DKIM/DOSETA? If there are many of them, a document split is important. If there's only one other, I'm not sure it is worth the hassle. A number of candidates has been mentioned, but at the same time questions have been raised, how realistic the need to use DKIM/DOSETA for some of them is (as SSL/TLS connections might be sufficient).

An inventory of candidate protocols that really may profit from something like DOSETA, may help to understand the need (or absence thereof) to split the documents.

The concept of building a toolkit as a basis, to which you add a few plugins to get DKIM or a few different ones to get something similar for a different medium, is quite appealing.

From a technical point of view: yes, it is!

Thinking at strictly a marketing level, which is the thrust of your remarks, would the answer to "What is DKIM?" and "What does DKIM do?" really change all that much?

Probably not, although it depends on who you ask. Yet, I agree with a few recent postings suggesting to first advance/publish RFC4871bis and after that start thinking about this split.

/rolf