Re: [ietf-dkim] Proposed documentation split between DKIM and "DOSETA"

2011-01-11 12:53:42
On 07/Jan/11 21:58, Dave CROCKER wrote:
Here's the proposal that Barry just announced, for splitting the DKIM
specification into a DKIM-specific portion and an underlying, more generic
portion that could be re-purposed for other services.  It's current working
acronym is DOSETA.

I'm embarrassed to raise such a trivial issue, but couldn't it be done
the other way around?  That is, keep the name DKIM for the core spec
and invent some other name for its application to RFC 5322.  This way

* the "DKIM-Signature" name remains fully justified,

* it will be more meaningful for iSchedule to say they use DKIM than
to mention DOSETA, and

* DOSETA would not have to define a "_domainkey" keyword that is not
part of its title.

      DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) permits a person, role, or
organization
that owns the signing domain to claim some responsibility for a message by
associating the domain with the message.

I'd also s/Mail/Message/ (Messages, Messaging, or similar) in the
acronym expansion.  Such change may be used to convey the extent of
the split.

JM2C