Re: [ietf-dkim] Re-thinking the organization of the DKIM spec

2011-01-07 20:32:00
Hi Barry,
At 12:37 07-01-11, Barry Leiba wrote:
As the 4871bis editors worked on resolving the last sets of comments
in the 4871bis document, the chairs and the editors had some
discussion about other efforts that are interested in re-using
portions of the DKIM signing/verifying/key-distribution mechanism
outside the email context.  See, for example,
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-desruisseaux-ischedule.  This would
mean using a DKIM-like mechanism to secure the distribution of
scheduling events.  That effort is currently referencing (and
updating) RFC 4871, but that includes what for them are many
irrelevant and inappropriate details that have to do with email.

One way we can handle this and other use cases, as we move the DKIM
specification along, is to split the specification into two documents,
one that describes the underlying components, and a second that
describes the email-specific bits.

draft-desruisseaux-ischedule-01 is dated March 8, 2010.  It intends
to update RFC 4871, if approved.  That draft has never been mentioned
in the DKIM WG until today.  Is that draft being targeted as a work
item for this working group?

The latest working group charter is dated June 1010 and the first
priority listed is to "Advance the base DKIM protocol to Draft
Standard".  There has been long discussions to get there.  Will the
WG have to recharter now?

Regards,
-sm