Re: [ietf-dkim] ISSUE: non-ascii header text

2011-04-20 00:58:28
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of John Levine
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 11:32 PM
To: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Subject: [ietf-dkim] ISSUE: non-ascii header text

Oops, this is a separate issue.  But I hope it's also not
contentious.
[...]

Since I'm not exactly an EAI/IDNA expert...

The only thing that's not obvious to me is whether the hash functions
should hash the bytes of the UTF-8, or convert them to UTF wide
characters and hash those.  Depending on the way the MTA is written,
either might seem more "natural", but I'm inclined to say you hash the
UTF-8 bytes because the SHA-1 and SHA-256 hash functions are defined
on bytes, not wider things.

Can you suggest the exact change to make here, or confirm there isn't one?