[ietf-dkim] Output summary

2011-04-27 14:31:11
Trust me, this is (supposed to be) minor!

Someone off-list pointed out to me that it might be helpful to summarize the
expected outputs of a DKIM verifier.  Indeed, on review, we don't do that all
in one place; some of it is in Section 3 and some in Section 7.

With that in mind, I propose this as a new Section 4.9, moving the others down:

4.9.  Output Requirements

The output of the verifier MUST embody:

-          A result code that indicates whether or not the signature was
validated (PERMFAIL or TEMPFAIL as described in Section 7.1, or a success
result code)

-          If the signature did validate, the value of the "d=" tag, i.e., the
signing domain

The verifier MAY include other outputs, but this is implementation-dependent
and not mandatory.  The verifier MAY also include as secondary data some
information indicating the specific cause of a failure.

Comments?