Re: [ietf-dkim] Output summary

2011-04-27 16:41:42
-----Original Message-----
From: John R. Levine [mailto:johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:27 PM
To: Murray S. Kucherawy
Cc: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: [ietf-dkim] Output summary

If you believe that, the output should only include signatures that
verified, right?  So you aren't suppsed to report TEMPFAIL or PERMFAIL.
Except that if it TEMPFAILed, the output can optionally include a queued
copy of the message and part of a of SMTP transaction.

There are two layers of output: Output of the algorithm, and output of some API
that performs it.  I think I was talking about the former, but I realize the
section could be read as the latter.

A truly minimal API output might just be the list of domains for which there
was a valid signature, and that set might be empty.

As for TEMPFAIL, you'd have to know which signature(s) were temp-failed in
order to decide about a later retry, which then leans us back toward giving the
whole list of signatures that were present and a status for each.