Re: [ietf-dkim] Fwd: Request to move RFC 5617 (ADSP) to Historic

2013-09-12 14:32:11
On 9/12/2013 12:20 PM, Jim Fenton wrote:
This might be the right thing to do, but it seems like the more
appropriate time might be to do this when DMARC becomes standards-track.

1. There is not going to be any change the adoption of ADSP between now
and then.

2. I don't see any obvious reason for linking them.  The mere fact that
they are playing in roughly the same sandbox does not provide any
obvious requirement for fate-sharing that I can see.

3. IF DMARC is never standardized, it still makes sense to deprecate ADSP.

I will note that vanilla, uncustomized SpamAssassin does implement ADSP,
so there might be more checking of ADSP records than some realize.  See,
for example:

  http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/Rules/DKIM_ADSP_CUSTOM_MED

There seems to be a pattern that has developed, of demanding that
failure mean literally no adoption.  It doesn't mean that.  It means
that it has no community traction.  ADSP more than qualifies on the
pragmatics of failure.

d/
--
Dave Crocker