Re: [ietf-dkim] Where is the formal definition of DKIM-Signature?

2018-02-08 10:24:09
On 2/8/2018 8:17 AM, Mark Delany wrote:
"v=1" doesn't have to come first.  It just usually does.  I think there was
a version of RFC4871 that did that, but then when challenged we couldn't
come up with a good reason to keep it that way.

Heh. I'm still waiting to hear a good reason as to why "v=" exists at all -
apart
from exposing brittle parsers which mistakenly expect it to show up as the first
tag.

There appears to be a genetically-encoded belief in the value of version numbers, independent of the logic against it. The belief is pervasive and seems to cross all technical cultures, experiential sets, and protocol layers.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking