Re: candidate MASS charter

2004-09-24 09:35:13

Dave Crocker wrote:

The enclosed an outgrowth from the previous BOF. I have tried to fold in some comments that were made about the draft circulated then, although this is essentially a new draft. It tries to be very tightly focused, have an aggressive schedule, and produce something of clear and immediate utility.

Whether any of this is actually feasible will depend upon the resolve of the working group participants to meet the schedule and make the necessary compromises.
Looks like a good starting place for discussion.

I think we should make it clear in the charter which problem we are solving, the authenticating the channel, or the message (or both). There is also the question of scope and policy, i.e. how much we take on with issues such as indicating whether or not an entity signs all messages, for instance.

I also think we should deal with the IPR issue up front in the charter - interoperability should be the driving point, so any solution should be acceptable to open source licenses, IMO.

David