Re: candidate MASS charter

2004-09-30 09:39:07

On Sep 30, 2004, at 11:50 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:
how much time do you think we should budget for this requirements
analysis?

How much time do you wish to budget for the pick-your-poison flame war?

what examples for that budget do you have, among other,
successful ietf working groups?

It depends on the complexity of the subject. However, I've seen it work successfully in CRISP and GEOPRIV. In fact, it is unlikely GEOPRIV would ever have produced anything if they hadn't completed a requirements doc first.

It doesn't take too much investigation to find other working groups that do requirements... just running down the list: INCH, IDWG, FORCES, SIPPING, SIMPLE, DCCP, etc, etc... Actually, this seems to be standard practice for working groups that have multiple input specifications.

If you are suggesting that completing a requirements doc will lead to an unsuccessful working group, then I'd say that working group would likely not produce anything anyway.

-andy