Re: what MTAs do, was semantics of the signature

2004-10-10 11:41:50

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004, Dave Crocker wrote:

    My wording is stylized in order to set the stage for the current
    round of effort, as I understand it:

         The new mechanism must be essentially invisible to
         non-supporting recipients.

A lofty goal, in my opinion, but I won't object.  :-)

    >  In addition, MTAs may not be MIME-aware but insofar as they
    >  "handle" virus scanning, they are more than capable of
    >  dealing with the solution to this problem space.

    I am not understanding how this relates to the current thread.
    Please clarify.

It doesn't.  Ignore it.

    >  point out that doing it without MIME does not mean doing it
    >  without PGP or S/MIME.  That's a separate point worthy of
    >  debate in the working group.

    Since both of their specifications are MIME based, you are
    describing creation of a new specification.

    Further, there are additional requirements/constraints that have
    been listed, that neither pgp nor s/mime currently satisfy.

There are additional requirements/constraints that neither the current
profile of PGP nor of S/MIME satisfy directly, which I believe are
strictly related to the packaging of the result and the key management.

You may see this as a "distinction without a difference" but I don't.

I look forward to your next revision of the Charter.

Thanks,

Jim