Re: Web pages for MASS effort

2004-11-29 17:58:37

Dave Crocker wrote:

...... Original Message .......
Presuming you're referring to features like canonicalization, body length count, and header copying,

yes. However canonicalization is merely related to minor syntax changes. The other two are trying to protect against some types of semantic changes (but not others.)
Header copying also removes potential ambiguity about which are the signed headers, when one of the headers to be signed can occur more than once. Depending on header ordering for this is unreliable.

in IIM there is no ambiguity as to
what the sender chose. It is all

the ambiguity is at the system and architecture level not with the iim spec.
The heuristcs inviolve the utility of the mechanisms.

Iim is 'guessing' that it will cover a useful set of semantic changes to the message. That is the techniques are thenselves heuristics.
IIM is providing a couple of tools that the signer can employ to specify what sort of changes they might allow. It is doing no 'guessing'.

OTOH, the specifiers of IIM (me, anyway) may have been 'guessing' what is useful. :-)

By the way, the semantics of this distinction is much clearer if the signing is done by the 822.sender and not the 822.from.
How about that idea about making the signature independent of the headers? Then the signer is the signer, period. This seems like a good simplification.

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on the other issues regarding whether helping signatures to survive mailing lists is a good or bad idea, and seek wider consensus.

-Jim