Re: Yahoo!'s DomainKeys and Cisco's IIM have merged

2005-06-02 16:55:26

In
<198A730C2044DE4A96749D13E167AD37250324(_at_)MOU1WNEXMB04(_dot_)vcorp(_dot_)ad(_dot_)vrsn(_dot_)com>
 "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> writes:

As a basic point of principle here, I care about there being one common
spec here more than anything else, including whether the spec actually
works.

We are engineers, if the spec is broken we can and we will fix it. If
the market mindshare is broken as it was with S/MIME vs. PGP I do not
know how to fix it.

Ugh.

What ever happened to "rough consensus and working code"?  My
experience with MARID is that without working code and real-world
data, you won't get a rough consensus.

If the people who control the spec are not willing to deal with the
technical problems and try to ignore deployment issues caused by
licensing, we will end up with a broken spec that we can't fix.

Fix the market, that is the hard part.

The market isn't stupid, at least not in the long run.  A broken spec
will kill the market.

-waynhe