RE: Yahoo!'s DomainKeys and Cisco's IIM have merged

2005-06-02 15:47:27

As a basic point of principle here, I care about there being one common
spec here more than anything else, including whether the spec actually
works.

We are engineers, if the spec is broken we can and we will fix it. If
the market mindshare is broken as it was with S/MIME vs. PGP I do not
know how to fix it.

I don't care whether we could fix S/MIME for this purpose, we could
never fix the mindshare, we could never get past the problem that S/MIME
has market deployment (>95%) and PGP has mindshate (>95%).

Fix the market, that is the hard part.

Besides which I will never pass up a chance to do a spec over ten years
later if it appears. If we have learnt nothing and forgotten nothing as
a result of the first ten years of commercial PKI then we do not deserve
to succeed.

I believe that DKIM signature infrastructure provides a powerful
starting point for a comprehensive cryptographic security scheme for
email. Use S/MIME and PGP as message encryption formats. Support domain
level security as well as end to end security. Allow people to go beyond
the limited end-to-end TRANSPORT security model to whole document
lifecycle security via content management.