Re: DKIM: c=simple is aspirational

2005-07-18 08:15:40

Earl Hood wrote:
And for me, the nowsp algorithm goes too far.  It seems to me a good
rule to follow is: do not have an algorithm that clearly changes the
meaning of the data.

The easy example I could find is to create a mail message
with 3000 consecutive 'a's and submit it to sendmail. It will
happily break the line for you at -- IIRC -- 2048 bytes. Nowsp
gets rid of all of those kinds of considerations and it does
it in a way that does not require *any* semantic awareness of
the underlying data. Having to have yet another piece of code
that cracks MIME, etc, seems like you're just setting yourself
up for yet another round of interoperability screwups.

And as 5.2.1 says, you are completely at liberty to transform
the message ahead of DKIM to make it transmogrification safe. If
you're bothered by nowsp's nuking of internal whitespace, by all
means qp or b64 encode it first and nowsp will leave those =020's
alone.