Re: revised Proposed Charter

2005-07-27 14:03:59

On Jul 21, 2005, at 5:14 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:

2. Are there issues in that review that you find inadequately covered in the current DKIM specification, such as its Security Considerations section?

A few comments...

1) Section 9.4 doesn't say anything about DNS cache sizes. Since caches are a huge part of the robustness of DNS, I think it is important to mention.

2) Also, the sentence "Secondly, the types of DNS attacks relevant to DKIM are very costly and are far less rewarding than DNS attacks on other Internet applications." from 9.4 is very generalized. What are these attacks against the DNS for the sake of compromising DKIM? How are these different than attacks against the DNS for other applications? And given that spam is a huge problem on the Internet, how is the value judgement made regarding their reward compared to other applications (yes, this is nit-picky)?

3) The first solution in 9.5 seems to be talking about a service that does not exist and lends itself to abuse, and the second seems to be fairly heavy-weight and possibly not very effective (at least from their limited descriptions). Perhaps those paragraphs should be struck and the section should be left with only a description of the attack.

4) I like 9.6. I had to reread it for it to sink in. Perhaps the last sentence should be removed as it now appears unnecessary.

5) Section 2.3 of mass-sec-review seems to be asking questions related to the current charter battle.

-andy