Re: alternate key server mechanisms

2005-07-27 18:00:33

On Jul 27, 2005, at 4:47 PM, Arvel Hathcock wrote:

Leaving aside the issue as to whether XKMS is qualified to serve as a key-fetching mechanism for the moment, what does the group think about Phillips basic assertions:

(A) It is critical-path that we define at least one other value in order to prove that it is, in fact, possible to do so.

I read the security review by Russell Housley. The concerns raised were regarding a means to adopt future changes to the signature algorithm, and to properly define the current algorithm within the draft.

The assessment was that either IIM or DomainKeys were justified by their relative simplicity. I saw nothing to suggest that these two approaches should adopt the complexity found in S/MIME or OpenPGP. In fact, this draft cautions _not_ to delve into such complexity.

I would say that the critical-path is to avoid adoption of such complexities.

-Doug