Re: revised Proposed Charter

2005-07-29 14:21:51

On Jul 29, 2005, at 6:38 AM, <domainkeys-feedbackbase02(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com> <domainkeys-feedbackbase02(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com> wrote:

It's always amused me that the format of the bits is excruciatingly important, but how often I send them, where I send them (assuming willing recipients, thank you Andy) and how the whole internet may have to morph and compensate as
a consequence, is entirely a private decision.

Which is what makes this thread amusing. We sometimes constrain ourselves with self-imposed limits that should be seriously challenged from time to time.

Sometimes one should challenge a lack of constraint from time to time as well.

DNS supports many applications beyond email. In addition to the cache, DNS also relies heavily upon UDP, which may induce problems as UDP's relative traffic increases. DKIM is doing many things right, when compared against other schemes attempting to use DNS to confirm accountable domains. Resist a desire to add features beyond this immediate goal of confirming an accountable domain.

DNS is not an infinite information sponge. When increasing the number items stored in DNS, especially when these items are relatively large and used by potentially millions of domains, this will increase the DNS cache needed to obtain the same performance and stability. When a change is incremental, and offers a relatively linear growth as the mechanism becomes employed, then administrators have time to adjust.

However, rather than limiting the goal to that of confirming just the domain, user identities have been included within DKIM. Despite otherwise sound justifications for including the user component, this feature should be removed. By including this feature offering specific user confirmation, this represents a potential for growth in DNS use that is neither incremental nor linear.

When the potential resource required to support cryptographic user confirmations within DNS is considered, I suspect there should be policy adopted that specific key servers should be used to support users, solely as a means to ensure the performance of DNS. DKIM can avoid this problem by practicing a self-imposed commitment to a specific goal of confirming just the _domain_.

There can be many more users than actual individuals. DNS normally supports servers often shared by thousands users. The number of shared users can increase as server performance increases. When a similar amount of DNS resource is consumed to support each user, this will dramatically counter the effects of this trend. Attempting to confirm _users_ using keys stored in DNS is not an incremental change, rather it has the potential to cause an explosion in DNS use. It is also likely other applications (even accommodated in the DKIM draft) will attempt to take advantage of such user components as well, which will ensure that should this user component become a problem, it will then be an intractable situation.

Even how domain policy is handled affects the impact that DKIM has on DNS resources. Thwarting the spoofing of a domain requires the validation of the signature and exposing the signing domain to the end user and perhaps a reputation evaluation. Binding constraints imposed by the "From" domain will remain problematic. Using DNS to publish such binding policy, where each node is allowed to change, represents an attempt to transform DNS into a directory structure, rather than treating it as a label tree.

Focus upon the one goal, confirming the accountable domain. To even further challenge the focus of DKIM, ignore binding policies, permitted third-party domains, along with permitted local-parts. A domain policy may safely assert that all messages received directly from this domain along with all sub-domains are signed. Leave the rest as second semester work. I suspect by then there will be other issues that become far more pressing. Keep it simple for now.

-Doug