Re: Fw: conduct on the list

2005-08-01 20:49:41

Obviously there are people who have hard time recognizing humor and sarcasm.

On a more serious note, Dave is a person who seem to have taken on himself position as a moderator but is not really good for that task (especially
not for BoF list).

The moderator does not typically make a decision on what is and is not a personal attack based on reading each message - such things happen when there are complaints from people about it. Moderator typically does not try to shut up people talking about topics he does not like privately - he'd make a public statement that the thread is likely off-topic or a distraction or has gone for far too long with same arguments being repeated, etc.

But trying to shut up contributors privately is no way to run a list
and we recently saw the outcry that can happen because of such moderator behavior on nanog.

As for motivation, as I pointed out before, this is in fact important for
BoF. You want to understand why somebody is proposing. We have general
motivation to stop forgery (and further motivation to stop spam) and no matter what you put it its likely private agenda of everyone on the list - are you trying to shut up everyone who says its their agenda? Then we have people proposal specific solutions to that and understanding their motives going with those solutions is also important and as such I do not see anything bad talking about this on the list.