RE: conduct on the list

2005-08-02 07:59:38

However, statements like, "Yahoo is playing games with us" is an ad
hominem attack. A statement like, "Yahoo still hasn't given us a
definitive IPR, and that concerns me" is not an ad hominem attack.

I agree the statement was unfortunate. But the response was uncalled
for. It appeared to be an attempt to assert the rights of a WG chair
which was not appropriate as there is no WG chair.

I think it would be better for all concerned if these discussions
remained on the IETF-Mailsig list rather than having them errupt on the
main IETF list.

This argument has distracted from a very important point. One of the
principle concerns of those making alternative proposals is that the
DKIM proposal might be encumbered in unacceptable ways. The only
practical means of putting those concerns to rest is to get an updated
IPR statement out before the charter is finalized.

Since Yahoo has gained a considerable amount of publicity from the
Domain Keys effort it is not unreasonable to expect their lawyers to
give this issue a high priority, particularly since the wording changes
being requested are minimal.

I note that the copyright to the Domain Keys Identified Mail
specification has already been surrendered to the IETF. It would be
somewhat unfortunate if the WG was obliged to spend time uncovering
prior art for the purposes of having the patent application rejected.