Re: Filtering Infrastructure (was "Re: Who will write filtering scripts?")

1997-03-28 17:09:08
On Fri, 28 Mar 1997, Randall Gellens wrote:

I think we really need to focus on keeping the base spec simple, and
compatible with IMAP and ACAP.  The simplest way to store the filters in
ACAP would be as one attribute, in the user's options dataset.  That would
give you the explicit ordering you want, but would make it a bit difficult
for some clients to deal with very long sets of filters.  The other
approach I see is to store each filter rule in its own attribute.  Ordering
could be enforced by an extra attribute (execute-order) which would contain
a number.

I'm not that familiar with ACAP, but IMSP is used by one mail client I
know to store its config info.  It is able to keep its message groups in
the correct order by numbering each message group internally.  Perhaps
something similar could be used with filters, like you suggest.

amos