Re: Who will write filtering scripts?

1997-03-28 10:44:23
Now that we have some activity in this mailing list, I'd like to hear ideas
and opinions about the infrastructure for filtering:

+ Who runs the filter ? Choices:
 1. The delivery agent at the time of delivery to one's
    INBOX ? How does the delivery agent have access to the user's folders ?
    Thru IMAP ? (which means that the delivery agent needs an open connection
    to the server all the time ... and the server may need to support shared
    read-write access to folders ..)
 2. The IMAP server ? So that the filtering happens when the INBOX is selected ?
    Or should there be an extension to the server to start filtering ?

+ Where/how is the filter installed ?
    The filter has to be installed in a user-preference repository. ACAP/LDAP
    seems to be the obvious way to setup/access the filter.

Comments/Ideas ?

-john mani

From: Amos A Gouaux <amos(_at_)utdallas(_dot_)edu>
To: Tim Showalter <tjs(_at_)andrew(_dot_)cmu(_dot_)edu>
cc: MTA Filters <ietf-mta-filters(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Subject: Re: Who will write filtering scripts?

As I already mentioned to Tim, I personally think machine-readable is more
important.  Even if it were to be human-writable, from what I've seen
between Elm Filter and Procmail debates, folks are going to find it
difficult to write correct filtering rules unless the language is
simplistic to the point of being almost useless.  At my previous job, when
faculty wanted their mail filtered, we ended up writing the procmail
script ourselves (support staff).  So I would prefer to see this new
filtering language machine-readable and then have a tk or even java app as
the configuration tool.  Then eventually some kind of ACAP interface.

Besides, with the movement towards client-server mail access with IMAP (or
POP), I think server-side filtering is going to be an increasingly
pressing issue.  It might even get to the point were editing local files
like one's ~/.forward is a less common occurrence.  And even if folks
still edited their own filter file, I would still prefer it to be
machine-readable so that the mail delivery mechanism would be as fast and
efficient as possible.

As for question of syntax, I'm certainly agreeable to it being LISP-like.
Hmmm, I wonder if I could then plug it into GNUS..  ;-)

amos