Delivery Filter WG scope (was Re: MTA Filters BOF ...)

1998-01-14 13:27:21
Looks like this will be a tricky charter to get agreement on.  I happen to
think this is a very important effort.  I suggest the following structure
to "do it the IETF way" and to try to get concensus:

Focus on writing a simple, extensible language for final delivery time
filtering (MTA -> mailstore interface).  While other uses for this could
be nice, this is the one which needs client/server interoperability in the
IMAP context.

Have three deliverables:
* A model document which describes how final delivery filtering fits in
the Internet mail architecture, and includes requirements for
transferring the script from the client to the final delivery agent.

* A MIME type for the Sieve language

* At least one proposed transport mechanism to pass the MIME type securely
from the client to the final delivery agent.

---

I don't see how an IETF WG could get away with designing a payload (e.g.,
the Sieve language) without also identifying at least one way to carry
that payload.

                - Chris