Re: draft-melnikov-sieve-imapflags-03.txt

2000-08-23 23:21:45
Tim Showalter wrote:

I may have voiced this before, but I don't remember.

I believe that the right way to set IMAP flags is by an optional
argument on the keep and fileinto commands, not a side effect that
effectively munges a global variable.

I like this better but I remeber some objections.
Also it is extremely difficult to explain this "global variable" concept to
non-programmers.

Until now, it has always been safe to add code to the bottom of a script
and assume that that code can stand alone.  However, arbitrary flags can
be added, and there's no way to figure out what flags are set,

Correct.

it is conceivable for "library" macros to set flags that there is no
reliable
way to clear.

You can always unset all known flags. This is ugly but works.
I miss test for set flags :-(.

Incidentially, among the nits in v03, the grammar at the end of the
document should be removed entirely.  It doesn't match the Sieve grammar
at all (which doesn't define action, for instance).  It is not
necessary; the existing Sieve grammar encompasses everything represented
here.  However, the "Syntax" lines in the base document need to be
on each command to clarify the types.

I will look at this.

Alexey