Re: Three new drafts and a question

2003-04-28 19:46:17

ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com writes:

On Sunday 27 April 2003 19:17, ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com
wrote:
<snip>
I think replaceheader is too complex.

But it's needed in the real world. Adding/removing the [mailing list]
tag to/from the subject line and fixing mangled/mangling reply-to
headers is popular among people who need to handle large (or large
amounts of) mailing list traffic.

Please explain why you cannot use deleteheader/addheader for this.

I don't think this is the example Marc had in mind, but anyway:

Consider if you want to replace the obscure MTA identification strings
in Received: headers with the full name of the MTA product.

I'm afraid I don't find this to be a credible example. Sieve is intended to be
a language used in or around delivery time so users can exercise some control
over delivery processing. It is not intended to be a general purpose message
alteration facility.

Deleteheader/addheader will likely not maintain sort order, but a
replaceheader ought to (which is useful).

I agree it is complex, but I have always wanted Sieve to be a real
language (= complex) so I don't consider that a problem.

This is not a desire I share. In fact one of the original design goals of sieve
was that it not be "a real language". If I want a real language I'll use one.
There are plenty of them around; no need to invent another.

                                Ned