Re: Three new drafts and a question

2003-04-29 08:34:23

Please explain why you cannot use deleteheader/addheader for this.

I don't think this is the example Marc had in mind, but anyway:

One other thing to say is complexity for guis.  If the intention is to
"replace header" and you have to do this via removeheader and addheader,
then it becomes much more difficult to "extract" from the script.  The
intention being to populate a control that has an array of desired actions,
one of which is "Prepend the following substring to the Subject line".

ie either:

if spamtest :value "ge" :comparator "i;ascii-numeric" "3" {
    replaceheader :newvalue "[SPAM] ${1}" :matches "Subject" "*";
}

or:

if spamtest :value "ge" :comparator "i;ascii-numeric" "3" {
    deleteheader :matches "Subject" "*";
    addheader "Subject" "[SPAM] ${1}";
}

I actually prefer the second. It makes it clear a new header is being
generated with all that implies (changes to encoded words, etc.). The
former implies that the operation may only be a simple prepend. The
world isn't this simple.

                                Ned