RE: Clarification on draft-martin-managesieve-04.txt ?

2003-10-18 06:56:46

        Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

All IMO, of course. Others may feel differently.

        Since I'm new to filters, I did not get what IMO means ?

        +MG

-----Original Message-----
From: ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com
[mailto:ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com]
Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2003 6:53 PM
To: Madan Ganesh Velayudham
Cc: ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com; tmartin(_at_)mirapoint(_dot_)com;
ietf-mta-filters(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: Clarification on draft-martin-managesieve-04.txt ?

Why? Getting the content of the script is what GETSCRIPT is for.

    When I gone through the draft, I co-related things with
unix commands
    ls and cat.

    If I just want to know whether a script is there or
not, LISTSCRIPT
would
    return all the script names.
    like,
    ls filename

OK.

        In GETSCRIPT/DELETESCRIPT, I'm not clear whether
        regular expression are entertained. Pls clarify.
        Otherwice can we have a defined keyword like ALL.

Again, why? You use LISTSCRIPT to list the scripts
available, then
use GETSCRIPT to get the scripts you want. Adding facilities to
GETSCRIPT to return more than one script would require adding
additional structure to responses to delimit and identify
multiple
scripts.

    I just thought that adding some more flexibility to
that would be a
value add.

Only if it is a genuinely useful feature. This has to be
weighed against the complexity of the facility and the cost
of implementation. In this particular case the complexity
cost is not completely trivial given that we'd be dealing
with utf-8 globs or worse, regexps.

    If I have n scripts and If I want to delete scripts
which start with
a*. I will
    do LISTSCRIPT, then delete one by one which requires more
server/client interactions.
    Rather DELETESCRIPT a* which would remove all the
scripts and require
only one server/
    client interaction.

Sure, but that presupposes client interactions are at a
premium here. I don't think they are.

    For GETSCRIPT, if I compare with 'cat'. I thought it is useful.

Useful in some abstract sense, perhaps. But I don't think the
benefits outweigh the costs.

All IMO, of course. Others may feel differently.

                              Ned