Re: draft-homme-sieve-variables-03.txt

2004-08-11 09:38:30

It says this:

    This extension changes the semantics of quoted-string, multi-line-
    literal and multi-line-dotstuff found in [SIEVE] to enable the inclu-
    sion of the value of variables.  The syntax follows [ABNF].

but never gives the redefined ABNF for quoted-string, multi-line-literal
nor multi-line-dotstuff.

I don't get this at all. Why would redefining the _semantics_ of something
change its _syntax_? Not only do I thini redefning the syntax of the things you
list is unnecessary, I view it as quite harmful and I strongly oppose adding
it. I base this on having had to deal with similar "overlapped" syntax in the
MIME draft, which ended up causing lots of confusion and no enlightenment.

Perhaps the problem is the trailing statement referring to [ABNF]. This could
be moved to a separate section if it is confusing for it to be there.

Nits below.

The fixes for the nits look fine to me.

                                Ned