Re: draft-homme-sieve-variables-03.txt

2004-08-12 09:46:56

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 10:28 -0400, Tony Hansen wrote:
Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
is it appropriate to use these capitalised forms everywhere?  if so,
this should(!) be a MUST.

SHALL and MUST are equivalent in strength. See [KEYWORDS].

doh!

but I still think it makes the text needlessly formal.

        When a string is evaluated, substrings matching variable-ref
        shall be replaced by the value of variable-name.  Only one pass
        through the string shall be done.

consider a rewrite such as

        When a string is evaluated, substrings matching variable-ref are
        replaced by the value of variable-name.  The string is only
        passed through once.

is this text less binding for the implementor?

sorry about the stylistic quibbling, I'm just curious.
--
Kjetil T.