Re: My open issues with RFC3028bis

2005-07-05 06:12:48

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 17:58 -0700, Philip Guenther wrote:
Works for me.  2.4.2.2 now reads: [...]

   Folding of long header lines (as described in [IMAIL] 2.2.3) is
   removed prior to interpretation of the data.  The folding syntax (the
   CRLF that ends a line plus any leading whitespace at the beginning of
   the next line that indicates folding) are interpreted as if they were
   a single space.

<pause>

Hmmm, that last paragraph actually differs from RFC 2822, section 2.2.3,
which says:
   Unfolding is accomplished by simply removing any CRLF
   that is immediately followed by WSP.

I.e., the leading whitespace should *not* be treated as a single space
but rather be left as is.  Unless I hear screams, I'm going to remove
the sentence that starts "The folding syntax..." as conflicting.

that's fine, but I find it a bit misleading to only refer to [IMAIL],
since RFC 2047 changes the folding rule in the presence of two
encoded-words:  any folding whitespace between them must be removed (see
section 6.2 paragraph 3).

e.g.,
   Subject: =?utf-8?q?hell?=
       =?utf-8?q?o?=
should be presented as:
   Subject: hello

on the other hand,
should be folded into

my suggestion is to add the reference, perhaps like so

        Long header lines are unfolded (as described in [IMAIL] 2.2.3
        and [MIME] part 3 6.2) prior to interpretation of the data.

--
Kjetil T.