Re: Working Group Last Call for draft-ietf-sieve-refuse-reject-00.txt

2005-08-19 11:13:43

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 09:09:21AM -0700, Matthew Elvey wrote:
I think we may need to refer to the fact that what we're concerned about
is that if there's an SMTP connection over the open Internet, it is the
one where we require the rejection to take place.

 This extension can only be supported by a Sieve implementation
  that is invoked on behalf of the MTA during SMTP time, and that
  can communicate its results to the MTA which can then return a
  status to the SMTP client on the other side of every SMTP connection
over the open Internet over which mail is received.

"on the other side of every SMTP connection over the open Internet" is
intended to make clear that the 550 goes to the generally distant,
untrusted client.

I snipped a bunch, hope that's OK, because I only wanted to remark on
the "over the open internet" part.  I don't think it's important what
the medium/network/what-have-you is, it's important that the result be
given to the originating client, probably via SMTP.  I'd even go so far
as to say that "refuse" should apply to any protocol where messages are
transported, and that SMTP is being used in the document as an example
protocol, even though it's the example that applies to the vast majority
of probable implementations.  But perhaps you can only carry
non-specificness so far.

mm