Re: Working Group Last Call for draft-ietf-sieve-refuse-reject-00.txt

2005-08-21 07:54:46

Mark E. Mallett wrote:

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 11:44:39AM +0100, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
Mark E. Mallett wrote:
5.1  Action refuse
The "refuse" action refuses delivery of a message by sending back
the 550 SMTP response code to an SMTP client.

This extension can be only supported by a Sieve implementation
running in an MTA.

The way this is worded, an implementation that communicates with an MTA
via LMTP (or any other protocol or mechanism, for that matter) is
prohibited from using "refuse."  There are multiple ways that an MDA may
be invoked by an MTA during the SMTP dialog, where refusal can be
communicated back to the SMTP client.  The MTA itself isn't necessarily
(and probably isn't likely to be) running the Sieve script itself.
The current copy we are editing says "running in an MTA or MDA". Does this address your concern?

I think it's too specific; as Matthew said in another note, the
important point is that it's running on behalf of an MTA, or via some
mechanism under which the response is communicated to the SMTP client at
SMTP time.  You don't have to list the ways that this can be done, other
than providing some examples.  An MDA is one example, but it doesn't
have to be the only one.
So, possible solutions to address this issue:
1). delete the sentence.
2). reword to be less prescriptive.

Which one do you prefer?

And actually I am not sure that LMTP needs to be mentioned in the
document at all, other than as an example of one of the ways that an MTA
and an MDA might communicate during the SMTP dialog.  The important thing
is that the Sieve script is being run at SMTP time and its results are
somehow used by the MTA to respond to the SMTP client.
I actually disagree. The sieve engine I am working on runs in LMTP server, it is the one that has to implement refuse.

Well I agree with you, so I must have been unclear :-)
Yes, I've misunderstood you.

It's the same sort of thing as my comment above, about the difference
between mandating one or more implementations or protocols (e.g. LMTP),
vs giving those protocols as examples.  It's the difference between
saying "MUST use LMTP or be implemented in the MTA" and "may, for
example, use LMTP or may, for example, be implemented in the MTA."