Re: Last chance to review draft-ietf-sieve-3028bis-10.txt before sending it to IESG

2007-02-06 12:50:27

On Tue, Feb 6, 2007, Ned Freed <ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com> said:

Alexey Melnikov writes:
Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
Alexey Melnikov writes:
[snip]
I actually have a problem with *numbers* being case-insensitive.
Cyrus Sieve doesn't accept "k", "m" and "g" prefixes in numbers.

So I would like to poll the WG regarding this issue. Do people want
to make to make number case-insensitive, or should this change be
undone?

Making numbers case-sensitive could invalidate extant valid scripts.
That needs strong justification IMO.

Let's assess the damage first. If it turns out that the majority of
implementations implement case-insensitive suffixes, then I will have
to fix my implementation ;-).

I wrote my code case-insensitively, but it's unreleased as yet.
[snip]
I believe our script generator puts these out in upper case and I know
I've seen hand-constructed scripts have them in lower case. So scripts
are probably gonna break if we make this case-sensitive.

Sounds like one of those cases where the spec should be strict but the
implementations should be relaxed.

Aaron