Re: Last chance to review draft-ietf-sieve-3028bis-10.txt before sending it to IESG

2007-02-06 11:51:14

Alexey Melnikov writes:
Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

Alexey Melnikov writes:

I actually do have one issue with a recent change in -10 which I consider to be serious, because it broke my Sieve implementation (as well as CMU's)

Why did this break your implementation? It did not cause any previously valid scripts to become invalid. All it did was clarify an existing rule.

If somebody puts "100k" in a Sieve script, Sieve lexer is going to reject such script.

Yes. But that's not lasting damage - the user has to change kmg to KMG and upload the script again.

Compare that with the alternative: Scripts which have passed managesieve's putscript checking become syntactically invalid when the server is upgraded.

I actually have a problem with *numbers* being case-insensitive. Cyrus Sieve doesn't accept "k", "m" and "g" prefixes in numbers.

So I would like to poll the WG regarding this issue. Do people want to make to make number case-insensitive, or should this change be undone?

Making numbers case-sensitive could invalidate extant valid scripts. That needs strong justification IMO.

Let's assess the damage first. If it turns out that the majority of implementations implement case-insensitive suffixes, then I will have to fix my implementation ;-).

I wrote my code case-insensitively, but it's unreleased as yet.

Arnt