Poll: consensus to change the encoded-character extension

2007-04-10 10:21:24

Ned Freed wrote:

"${unicode:200000}" -> error
"${unicode:2000000}" -> "${unicode:2000000}"

I don't particularly like that, because most likely the second was
never meant that way.  Is there any way to change that at this point?
you want to change unicode-hex to 1*HEXDIG instead?  the wording should
already handle it, so it's just the ABNF which needs a tweak.  that's
fine with me.  I think it's Philip's call.
Yes, that would be more logical.  I consider ${hex: and ${unicode: as
functions of constant arguments.  No matter which argument is passed
to them: Syntax errors (like a missing brace) should cause an error,
and semantic errors like range overflows should cause an error, too.
It's bizarre to see 0x200000 being an overflow, but 0x2000000 causing
everything to be taken literally.
I'm not wild about changing from 1*6 to 1* but I can live with it if need be.
Is there any consensus for the following change

OLD:
  unicode-hex          = 1*6HEXDIG
                         ^^^

NEW:
  unicode-hex          = 1*HEXDIG
                         ^^
?

(And any sequence of more than 6 HEXDIG will cause error)