Re: action reject and smtp RCPT TO:

2008-03-03 09:08:08

        Hello,

I think draft-ietf-sieve-refuse-reject-06 implicitly forbids sending 550 after RCPT. In Section 2.1 (Action ereject) the SMTP 550 way is shifted to Section 2.1.1 (Rejecting a message at the SMTP/LMTP protocol level) and Section 2.1.1 shifts the problem to Section 2.1.2 (Rejecting a message by sending a DSN). Or may be I am wrong?

About the spamtest issue: it shall be evaluated after data. If I remember correctly, there was an idea to extend the envelope test to check against the sending host (apart from sender and recipient) and check using external lists if the sending host is blacklisted. Then the mail can be rejected according to the user's preferences and not due the site policy. Can we leave for now spamtest out the discussion?

The idea of the early evaluation in multi-recipient messages is to reduce the amount of generated NDRs, when some of the recipients are mailboxes (accept spam) and others are mailing lists (who do not want to discard messages from non list members, ignoring the spaminess). The problem with NDRs is that they might end in a spamtrap/honeypot and blacklist your server. With early evaluation all this is avoided... And once again: does draft-ietf-sieve-refuse-reject-06 forbid this behaviour?

> FWIW: My sieve interpreter does exactly what we're (not) allowing: I
> fetch the sieve script as part of verifying that the rcpt to address
> exists, and evaluate until some test fails for lack of data. I think
> the draft as it stands is fine.

I think this is wrong, as it does not allow combining keep and reject. The reject action shall be executed after RCPT TO:, if the script terminated successfully (= reached <EOF> or stop; without making header/body tests, or invoking the keep action) being executed there.

        Със здраве,
                Дилян