Re: Standard to selectively disable rules in sieve script?

2008-03-26 18:38:53

Hi Kjetil,

--On March 27, 2008 12:52:01 AM +0100 Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho(_at_)ifi(_dot_)uio(_dot_)no> wrote:

agreed.  reconstructing the semantics of the rules is a challenge, e.g,
consider a UI where there's a simple rule for matching mailing lists.
this would probably be a macro with lots of heuristics, checking List-Id
but also Sender and stuff like that.  when loaded into a different
client it should of course handle this, but it may present the rule as a
sequence of tests rather than a single macro.  IMHO, it's not realistic
to standardise these things, since we will never catch all the
use-cases.

for the case of temporarily disabling a rule,  I think the most obvious
method is a simple

   if false { }

around the block.  that construct can hardly be used for anything else.
using comments is bad, since comments should be truly freeform and
without meaning.

If this is something that clients want to do interoperably, we should probably ask Ned to add a "disable=(yes|no)" attribute to the XML <control> elements in draft-freed-sieve-in-xml, so that there is an explicit and easy way to do this in XML without having to resort to the if false {} construct.

--
Cyrus Daboo