Re: [sieve] New Version Notification for draft-george-sieve-vacation-time-00

2010-02-04 12:33:56
On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 7:07 AM, Barry Leiba
<barryleiba(_dot_)mailing(_dot_)lists(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
Well, the obvious existing model for this sort  of thing is spamtest and
spamtestplus. In that case specifying spamtestplus implicitly sets spamtest.
The rationale, as I recall, is that since spamtestplus makes no sense
without spamtest, why make the require clause even longer than it needs to
be?

if there's a reason not to follow that approach here I don't see it.

OK, I'll buy that.  Good.  So for the next version:

1. I will change ":time" to ":seconds".

Personal comments:

Since Ned has :hours, and here we're talking about :seconds, why not
also add :minutes?

2. I will change "vacation-time" to "vacation-seconds".

Thought experiment: what if :time referred to a time of day? All
vacation notices would be batched and sent at that time of day. What
might be a use case for this?

3. I will add text saying that "vacation-seconds" implies "vacation",
and that a script that includes "vacation-time" in the "require" list
MAY omit "vacation" from the list.

+1

The other question is if the working group will adopt this.  Should
the updated version (changing "time" to "seconds") become
draft-ietf-sieve-vacation-seconds-00 ?

WFM.

I'll hold off on updating the draft for a day or two, and if the
chairs tell me that they have approved
"draft-ietf-sieve-vacation-seconds" as a working group draft, I will
submit it that way.  Otherwise, I'll submit an -01 version with the
current name.

Chair's comment:
I'm in general favor of making it a WG document, but I'd like to think
out if there are more changes to vacation that anybody has in mind.
Should we open an "evacation" can of worms? (Probably not.) Should we
consider that a couple of vacation extensions might come together and
should be profiled as "vacation2" or something like that?

Other comments from participants (or chairs)?

I like it!

Aaron