Re: [sieve] I-D Action:draft-ietf-sieve-external-lists-07.txt

2011-05-06 20:42:49
Hi Barry,

--On May 6, 2011 4:33:05 PM -0400 Barry Leiba <barryleiba(_at_)computer(_dot_)org> wrote:

I spoke with Pete Resnick, who suggested using something related to
CardDAV to handle this.  I've asked Cyrus whether there's anything we
can do in that regard, and I'm waiting for his response.  Pete is not
inclined to go against Graham's recommendation, and also is concerned
about the scope here.

I will give you my response here: there is not a specific URL for CardDAV - it is just HTTP/WebDAV at its core so the only URLs that make sense are http and https. That does not fit our requirements.

At this point, I don't know what to do, so I'm taking it back to the
working group.  Alexey thinks grabbing a URN namespace is acceptable,
even if we have to hold our noses a bit.  Ned, what do you think?
Others?

Here is one possibility: change the syntax to provide for a prefix to the list name. The following could be used:

- "URL:" - what follows is a URL (as per current spec behavior)
- "list:" - a "generic" named list
- "ab:" - a list of addresses

So ab: and list: allow for a very compact identifier in line with what we wanted before, and we still can use URLs via the URL: prefix (at the expense of an additional 4 characters). That would allow us to remove the new URL registration we currently have.

--
Cyrus Daboo