RE: Three major areas of concentration

2004-03-12 22:21:28

| I think it is likely that there will need to be completely separate
| proposals for:
|
| 1)  The "is this IP address authorized to be an MTA?" question.
|     (e.g., MTA-Mark, SS, DUL lists, etc.)
|
| 2)  The "is this IP address authorized to use a given domain name in
|     the MAIL FROM (and HELO) address?"  (e.g. RMX, SPF, DMP, etc.)
|
| 3)  The "is this From: header from who it claims to be from?"  (GPG,
|     S/MIME, DomainKeys, Caller-ID, etc.)

I agree that these are three related but distinct areas; each deserves
consideration.

You gave consideration to 1) and 2) as they're directly related to the work.
I wanted to know if the third area referred to deserves consideration from
this group.  Or if there are others.

I don't remember if it was decided to consider 3) because of the problem of
using bandwidth to receive the e-mail in the first place, in order to analyze
it.  I would prefer not to consider it as all of the approaches to verify the
headers requires us to receive the message in its entirety, saving no
bandwidth at all.

--
PGP key (0x0AFA039E):
<http://www.pan-am.ca/consulting(_at_)pan-am(_dot_)ca(_dot_)asc>