RE: Draft Charter

2004-03-16 14:41:14

The charter states "This working group  will develop a DNS-based
mechanism for storing and distributing information associated
with that
authorization". If we limit the scope of the charter to the mechanism
for storing the data as opposed to how it is applied, we can avoid
restricting the use of data only at MTA level and not MUA.

I believe the opposite. I beleive that if we focus on only describing
the configuration of the outgoing mail servers using the DNS in the
normative part of the spec EVERYTHING else is non-normative.

So we give an example of how to apply the data at the incomming MTA.
We also provide an example of how to apply the data at an MUA with
reasonable assumptions being made about the intermediate servers. But
we do not require any particular approach here, this section is
non-normative.

We need to give people leaway on how the data is applied. The current
draft charter seems to me to focus only on how the data is stored and
distributed, not on how it is applied which might be
something left to the implementors.

Exactly, we provide complete freedom on the receiver side, they are going
to ignore the group in any case, except as a source of hints.

                Phill