Re: Draft Charter

2004-03-16 13:54:02

In <p0602040bbc7d01fa3771(_at_)[205(_dot_)214(_dot_)163(_dot_)49]> Ted Hardie
<hardie(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com> writes:

A number of folks have raised issues with this section of the charter;

I guess one other comment:  I believe that all LMAP proposals can do
their work inside the MTA during the transaction, but they could also
do their work later on in, say, a spam filter or the MUA.

I think that it is very important to be able to create a system that
is useful both during them SMTP session, and after.  A system that,
for example, requires a challenge-response during the SMTP session
that couldn't be done later, would not be very useful.  Similarly, a
system that required human interaction could work in the MUA, but not
in the MTA.

Is this a valid requirement for the charter?  All the references to
"MTA" in the charter kind of makes it sound like being able to work in
the MUA is not important.

I also think that is very useful, although maybe not critical, for the
proposed system to work before the SMTP DATA command.  That is,
depending at all on the content of the email would make the system
much less useful for me.

Should this be a requirement for the charter also?  Or, should we
leave it up in the air?

-wayne