RE: Draft Charter milestone sequence

2004-03-17 20:47:31

By publishing MARID records in DNS, isn't the sender stating
facts about
a relationship between his domain/IP and some header?

No, he is telling the world where his outgoing mail server sits.

Nothing else.

I missed the rest of the last post.  But I'm inferring that whoever Phillip
answered here is wondering if the sender's possibly exposing themselves or
their affiliates.

Yakov addressed this in the LMAP draft:

5.2. Network Infrastructure

Publication of LMAP information results in a readily available
list of IP addresses of hosts authorized to send messages
associated with a domain.  These lists yield information about
the network structure, and business relationships, and
presents hostile parties with a list of targets to attempt to
compromise.

However, such information is often already publicly accessible
through other means.  Anyone communicating with individuals at
a domain may readily obtain this information, and share it
with anyone else.  Business relationships have been
discovered, for example, prior to "official" public
announcement, by examining DNS records.  Nearly all such
"private" information about network structure and
relationships may therefore be described as already being
readily available.

If such information is to be kept secret, it is the users
responsibility to send messages in such a way as to keep that
information private.

[end]

--
PGP key (0x0AFA039E):