Re: Draft Charter milestone sequence

2004-03-18 12:07:12

Alan,

2. Later efforts to write specifications in the same technical arena
AD>   Yet arguments for/against anti-spam systems talk about
AD> fulfilling/countering the "original design goals" of SMTP.

Ahh.  Now I understand.  Yes, than could be a bit frustrating.

In fact, I have not noticed that particular language and would certainly
agree that, at most, it should be stated very judiciously.

My own view is that we must pay attention to actual practise and we
should try to impose new limitations with as much restraint as possible.

Discussion about initial intent can be useful guidance for understanding
a broader, unexplored scope, but I agree that it is dangerous to try to
beat people up with that particular stick. (I've no doubt that my own
postings have crossed the line, in this regard.  It's always tempting to
say something like "that's not what we had in mind", but no, it's not
very helpful, except in the way all historical perspectives can be
useful.)

By contrast, I think that discussion about requirements and preferences
for "human, group and organization communications via messaging" is
entirely relevant. After all, that's the real functional domain of email
and the technical work needs to conform to the human requirements, not
vice versa. Yes, this type of discussion tends to be fuzzy, because most
social and psychological discussions tend to be fuzzy, but the provide
essential underpinnings to technical discussions.

AD>   Of course, wehich is what interops are for.  SPF, et. al. are
AD> currently undergoing inter-operation tests in a live network.  If the
AD> evidence there shows them to be useful and backwards compatible,

We need to be careful about interpreting the results of interoperability
testing.  it shows that a protocol works between independent
implementations.

It does not show that the protocol is actually _useful_.  Efficacy is
demonstrated by real use, not by testing.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <dcrocker-at-brandenburg-dot-com>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <www.brandenburg.com>