Re: onus on mailing lists

2004-03-18 08:07:23

In
<C6DDA43B91BFDA49AA2F1E473732113E5DBA56(_at_)mou1wnexm05(_dot_)vcorp(_dot_)ad(_dot_)vrsn(_dot_)com>
 "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> writes:

Right now we have conventions: we have majordomo-style
and listserv-style listname-request addresses or listname-unsubscribe
addresses, but the mailing list world lacks a consistent
machine-readable format for unsubscriptions.

Don't we have that in the mailing list headers? There was a proposal
that added an unsubscribe header some time ago.

You mean the correct way to unsubscribe from a mailing list isn't to
file a report with spamcop or the sender's abuse desk? </sarcasm>

Seriously though, people have been taught to never unsubscribe to spam
because that just confirms to the spammer that they have a live email
address.  Combine that with most people's definition of spam being "spam
is anything I don't like", and you have big problems for legitimate
mailing lists.

The proposal on proof of consent works between the sender and the
receiver, but doesn't help folks like spamcop or abuse desks in
determining if the email really was unsolicited.

I have some ideas of how to solve this problem, but this is probably
not the right forum to discuss the issue.

-wayne