Re: sender vs author, channel vs object, designated sender vs crypto signatures

2004-03-18 08:24:30

Meng,

MWW> I will provisionally define "sender" as that entity which:
MWW> - injects the message into the mailstream,
MWW> - receives bounces, and
MWW> - is identified in the envelope MAIL FROM return path.

Your definition requires that bounces always go to the address
responsible for initial posting of a message.

There are valid and useful scenarios that require the bounces address to
differ from both RFC2822 From and RFC2822 Sender.

Hence your definition requires breaking valid, useful and existing
Internet mail services.

MWW> I will provisionally define "author" as that entity which:

You left out a definition to cover the peer MTA. It injects the message
into the next-hop mailstream.  Given the likely charter of this working
group, we had better have a term to cover that role explicitly.

And that's the reason I suggest we stop using the word sender entirely,
except when qualified with "rfc2822".

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <dcrocker-at-brandenburg-dot-com>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <www.brandenburg.com>